The remains of a Direction Finding (DF) station is located on Ibsley Common, approximately 1.5 miles north east of Ibsley Airfield. DF stations were an advanced form of radio direction finding. The towers provided a means of locating aircraft by identifying the direction from which the radio transmissions were strongest.
In the 1940’s the octagonal brick enclosure protected a three storey wooden tower, from where high frequency radio signals were exchanged with aircraft to guide them to their bases. Further east lies the remains of a bunker and a building base that may have served as accommodation during this period.
The image shows a typical tower minus the blast wall.